graduate program in york, study, postgraduate, graduate, courses

Study in York, United Kingdom

Population: 197,800

City Overview

York is an ancient city in the North of England, close to the Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors national parks. York is most famous for being the Roman capital of Britain, and it is this wealth of history and culture stretching for two millenniums that has made it the hugely popular centre for tourism and education that it is today. 

Education profile

There are two universities in York. The University of York, established in 1963, is one of the top universities in the UK and has an international reputation for the quality of its research. It is also home to the well renowned Hull York Medical School

York St John University
is a smaller and newer institution, with basis in the Anglican Church. It has four faculties: Arts, Health and Life Sciences, Education and Theology and the Business School.

The University of York was named The Times University of the Year in 2010, and offers a wide variety of both taught and research-led graduate programs in all academic areas. Masters courses usually last 12 months, whilst PhD programs are likely to take longer. John St John also offers graduate programs, and has around 600 postgraduate students.

Immigration and visas

In order to study in York, if you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), you will need to obtain a Tier 4 Study Visa. In order to do this you will need to prove that you have:
  • Recognised qualifications for the course you intend to study
  • An offer from a UK educational institution
  • Funds to support yourself whilst you are studying
To obtain a Tier 4 visa you will need to acquire 40 ‘points’.

Depending on where you are from you may be able to apply online, or using the application form VAF9. You may also need to submit the following documents, as well as undergoing fingerprinting and a facial recognition scan at a visa application centre:
  • Application form with confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS reference number) – awarding you 30 points
  • The original transcript/ certificate of qualifications relevant to your application
  • Evidence that you have enough money to support yourself t6hroughout your course and pay your tuition fees – awarding you ten points
  • Two recent passport photographs
  • Your original passport
Not all these documents may be required – whether they are will depend on your circumstances.

You can download all the required forms from the UK Border Agency website.

Life in York

Often referred to as the ‘capital of the North’, York is a fantastic city in which to study and socialise – with numerous cultural advantages aside from its world class university, including a large number of theatres and a annual Festival of Food and drink, held in September.
The city is well connected via rail, with frequent links to London, Edinburgh and an hourly service to Manchester Airport, the largest international airport in the North of England. Local buses provide easy access throughout the city.

If you are thinking of taking up a graduate program in the UK there is no better place than York to fully immerse yourself in the nation’s history. For a truly British experience, pay a visit to Betty’s Tea Rooms, a Yorkshire institution where you can sample the best cakes that the county has to offer.

Working In York

If you are from outside the EEA and wish to remain in York or the surrounding area to work after you finish your postgraduate course, you will need to check if you fit into one of the schemes that the UK government operates. You need 95 ‘points’ to secure a Tier 1 visa – these will be awarded based on age, qualifications, previous earnings, experience of the UK, English language skill and the money you have to support yourself.

Major industries in York include tourism, health, education, finance and IT, and the region has a lower than average unemployment record.

Find out more at the UK Border Agency website.


The University of York has a collegiate system, meaning that its university residences are owned and managed by the separate colleges of the university. Although rooms are available for postgraduate students, whether you are given one may depend on the college you choose. If you are offered a room you will live with other students, whilst having your bills and other amenities included in the rent that you pay the university.

Those studying postgraduate courses in York often choose to live off campus in privately rented accommodation, either with friends or independently. You might choose to live in a house or a flat, where you will be responsible for paying things such as the electricity and other bills.

Weather and Climate

York has a temperate climate, and is warmer than other areas in the county of Yorkshire, with less rain. Spring and summer are between March and August and autumn and winter from September to February.

What to do next

Are you interested in studying a graduate program in York? If so, you should sign up for our Free Application Service. We'll provide you with tailored information, courses to suit you and the option to apply online for the graduate program you want.