- Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology (NMIT), established in 1905, is today the northern South Island’s premier education provider of post-secondary school education through to postgraduate level. NMIT is a New Zealand government funded, national provider of education with campuses located in Nelson (main campus) and Blenheim (Marlborough & Woodbourne campuses). NMIT provides qualifications that link with the regions’ industry, providing students excellent pathways to employment on graduation.
- The majority of NMIT’s students study on the main campus, located in the city of Nelson. In this location you will have a true New Zealand experience on the doorstep of the South Island’s famed scenic spots and with unrivalled access to the outdoor adventures that can be had therein.
- Nelson city is located in New Zealand’s fastest growing region. With a small urban population of around 65,000 – Nelson is a rare example of a small city with an incredibly buoyant economy.
- The city is located in New Zealand’s sunniest region! With a Mediterranean climate in a seaside setting, Nelson is one of the country’s top destinations for those looking for a well-balanced, outdoors orientated lifestyle.
- Nelson is one of New Zealand’s key tourism destinations, attracting numerous local and international visitors for their holidays.
- Fringed with golden sand beaches giving way to calm blue/green waters, Nelson provides excellent paddle boarding, sea kayaking, boating and fishing just minutes from the CBD.
- Likewise, if land activities are more your thing, just to the south of the CBD are easily accessible hiking and biking trails ranging from beginner to advanced.
- Nelson is flanked by three national parks, including Abel Tasman National Park with its excellent sea kayaking, caving and hiking opportunities and the Nelson Lakes National Park with a ski field and inland fishing, boating and hiking options.
- The well balanced laid-back lifestyle of Nelson brings a vibrant city centre featuring an active art scene with over 300 working artists, an excellent restaurant, café and bar scene, a good range of boutique shops, and a very large nationally renowned Saturday market featuring local foods and crafts.
- Nelson produces much of New Zealand’s fresh fruit and fish, and matched with 11 craft breweries and 28 boutique wineries, this region is a true destination for those that appreciate fine food and beverages.
Nursing: NMIT’s nursing programme is one of the most highly respected in New Zealand with a 100% employment rate on graduation.
Tourism: Ample opportunities to use your qualification for work in the Nelson Marlborough region’s tourism industry, from hotels and wineries to intrepid adventure tourism operators.
Commerce and IT: As New Zealand’s fastest growing region in 2017, commerce and IT graduates will find numerous employment opportunities in Nelson upon graduation.
Art and Design: Nelson is a creative capital of New Zealand, with over 300 working artists in the city, this is the ideal location to pursue your passion to build a career in art and design.
Maritime Studies: Nelson is home to the largest deep sea fishing port in Australasia. NMIT offers Second Mate Foreign-going qualifications in marine engineering and nautical studies, in addition to short course, including training in the crewing of superyachts! In 2017 NMIT took delivery of a brand new $1 million bridge simulator which complements our modern engine room simulator.
Just 1.5 hours’ drive from Nelson, deep in the heart of wine country, the Marlborough Campus specialises in offering NMIT’s Bachelor of Viticulture and Winemaking. The region’s vineyards produce 78% of New Zealand’s wine grape harvest, including production of the New Zealand’s flagship wine, the internationally acclaimed Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. During your study you will learn about both growing of grapes and making wine, including paid internships to produce your own vintage in a Marlborough winery!
The Woodbourne Campus is located on the Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) base adjacent to the Blenheim airport. NMIT’s qualification in aircraft maintenance engineering is taught here. NMIT is one of only two institutes in New Zealand to offer training in aircraft engineering, and the opportunity to work on premises and with aircraft of the RNZAF is an amazing opportunity.
NMIT’s qualifications have been designed in collaboration with industry, to create work ready graduates that meet local and international job market needs. This leads to excellent employment rates for NMIT graduates across a wide range of disciplines.