2014's most searched for universities weren’t all amongst the world’s most prestigious.
Bucking the expectations of the UK and the USA being the most searched for countries in terms of international Higher Education, it is India that takes five places in the top 20.
India’s most Google universities were the University of Calicut, Anna University, in Chennai, the University of Mumbai, the University of Rajasthan and Annamalai University in Tamil Nadu.
The most searched for institution in the world is the University of Phoenix in Arizona, in the southwest of the United States, which offers a huge number of online courses.
Of course, the world’s best universities did make an appearance – Massachusetts Institute of Technology was in second place, whilst Stanford University, London School of Economics, Columbia University and New York University (NYU) were all in the top ten.
Aside for MIT, however, none of these made the top five.
In third place was the Open University, which is based in Buckinghamshire in the UK but specialises in online and distance learning.
The Open University’s success reflects the widening of Higher Education, and the way that students from across the world can now engage with courses without having to physically attend lectures on live in a university city.
The Universities of Oxford and Cambridge, often ranked as the best in the world, were in 13th and 16th place respectively.
Here is the list of top 20 most Googled universities in full:
1. University of Phoenix (Arizona, USA)
2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA)
3. Open University
4. University of Calicut (Kerala, India)
5. University of California, Los Angeles
6. Anna University (Chennai, India)
7. Stanford University (California, USA)
8. London School of Economics
9. Columbia University (New York, USA)
10. New York University
11. University of Mumbai (Mumbai, India)
12. University College London
13. University of Oxford
14. Florida State University
15. Harvard University
16. University of Cambridge
17. Liberty University
18. University of Rajasthan (Rajasthan, India)
19. University of Michigan
20. Annamalai University (Tamil Nadu, India)